Saturday, September 03, 2005

Generosity

Generosity...Hmmm...bein generous.That's a good topic.Well....accordin to the Oxford Dictionary....
Generous-giving or given freely; not small-minded; plentiful. generously adv, generosity
Well...there we hav it.To be generous is to give somethin to someone without havin that person to open his or her mouth to ask for it.Therefore, it is done from the heart and not expectin somethin in return.That's wat bein generous is about.We giv wat we can to those less fortunate or even lend a helpin hand to those who are incapable...even if sometimes they are.It's just a feelin of helpfulness that we should hav towards others.

Example time....
I had a friend from TARC last time while i was in the 1st semester named Zhi Yuan.Real nice fellow.Drives a Toyota Hilux (a pickup 4x4) to college.He lives in Selayang but some days after college he would go to Subang's Taylors College to pick his girlfriend up and fetch her home.SS15 is quite far from where i stay,what more,it's not even on da same side after comin up from KESAS highway.But he would still offer me and another friend (Yuen Wah stays in Taman Raja Muda,it's on da way to Subang) a ride home.I would ask him to drop me off at Summit but he insisted on droppin me at my house.That's a real generous friend.He did not mind giving his friends a ride home as long as it's along his journey.But now he moved to study in KBU.

Other examples would be my best buddy,Ashwin,whom I frequently go out "yam cha" with.My best friend since highschool.But now he's gettin busier and busier.But wen we used to go hang out,he would always offer me a ride.But sometimes i would feel guilty and would insist on me drivin instead.He's very clear that i don't own a car of my own and he does.Another example would be good,ol' Bobby Jr Tan.Yeah...This was my pal since form 2 but he had to shift school to USJ4 secondary school.Another generous citizen.Same situation.Has his own car and stuff.And some generous girl friends(friends!!!) would be like Jia Yee and Ai Lynn who fetches me home sometimes after "lepak-in",if they drive.(JY still remembers where i stay.Yeah!!! but now dat Ai lynn noes,she's probably thinkin of settin a bomb in my house.hehehe...)

The point is not for me to brag about my friends but to giv a clear example of the types of generous people.This is what bein generous is all about.We get the satisfaction of helpin others and not by braggin about it.If i had a car, I wouldn't mind car-poolin or fetchin my friends someplace.Yeah....I wish i do.But even with my dad's car i still do try to fetch my friends around.Yam cha or anythin.I just offer and don't hope for anythin in return from them.Maybe jus their friendship and honesty.

If any of you had read Sam's blog about our trip to Bukit Tinggi,she did mention an incident where a little boy had dropped his bottle in the pond and I got it back for his family.Well,it's nice to see it on people's face when they are happy.So I didn't mind stickin my hand in that pond to recover that bottle.Just the faces of the parents is satisfaction enough and their "thanks" really hit the spot.(no...a fish did not jump up at me,Sam...and i actually onli asked Ben to hold on to my camera)Refer to Sam's blog for more details.

So you see,generosity is good for our society.A generous person is made and not borned. Even Bill Gates (the Microsoft company owner),who earns billions of dollars a year,would contribute his wealth in helpin the needy.I'm sure most of the wealthy people do that too.It's the satisfation we get in makin others happy.

So,fellow Malaysians,please do not adapt the "Kiasu" thinkin of "your problem not my problem" kind of attitute.That leads to a lot of trouble in the future.It's not good especially in makin new friends or even new neighbours in the future.Be generous always.

So,after readin that,do you feels generous enough today???

No comments: