Friday, October 09, 2009

Skidding with anti-skid

Early in the morning, one of my Director called me on the phone, requesting me to transport a colleague to the LCCT.

Being still sleepy and groggy, I agreed.

The moment I reached the office, my Director handed me the keys to his Mitsubishi Triton, since it was under the company’s properties.

Knowing I can handle a 4x4, I took it and fetched my colleague all the way to LCCT.

It was a wet morning. It had rained non-stop since I left my house.

Me and my colleague joked around in the car and it seemed like it would be a good day.

After dropping my colleague at the entrance of LCCT, I made my way back to the office. I chose to cut off at the Kesas exit instead of ending up at Shah Alam.

Upon going down the ramp, I slowed the pick-up down to about 40plus km/h as the Triton is quite tall.

I thought it would be good enough seeing as the Triton is equipped with ABS, Brake Force Distribution and Anti-Skid technology. But I left the gear in 2x4 instead of 4x4 seeing as I was just on a normal road.

As I was halfway down and the road in front wide open and empty, I didn’t bother accelerating or braking and just let the car slide down to the end of the ramp before accelerating into the next highway.

Halfway down, the Triton suddenly started skidding from the back tyres and took me by surprise. The resulting skid spun my car forward. Here’s some illustrations of the incident. Excuse my simple illustrations though:

scene1 scene2 scene3 scene 4 scene5 scene6

The car spun twice and hit the side divider, smashing the front of the Triton. After the car hit the divider, it bounced back and pointed my car TOWARDS traffic. Lucky for me, no cars were heading down during that time.

scene7

I quickly drove the car towards the side of the road to assess the damage.

The damage was terrible.

iphone 023

The driver-side headlight shattered, the driver-side fog light broke, the bumper dented, the driver-side chassis dented and the side body pushed inwards.

iphone 022

Some minor parts of the engine area suffered damages as well.

I immediately assessed the damages and called my Director to report the situation.

To my surprise, my Director didn’t blow his top but instead, calmly asked me if I was okay and if the car can still get me back to the office.

A few seconds after assessing everything, another 2 cars coming down slammed into the divider as well. A Vios and a Civic.

The Vios suffered the same fate as the Triton but the Civic escaped with  some scratches and a small dent to his side and front grille.

iphone 025 copy

Seeing that the guy in the Vios had difficulty getting down, I ran across to try to get him out as he was still on the fast lane.

iphone 024 copy

He managed to get out of his car but I can see he was still in shock from the incident.

We talked a little and I even helped him photograph his damage and emailed it to him.

Upon returning back to the office, my Director assessed the damage and only asked me to take it to the repair shop to get it fixed. He even tried calming me down incase I was in shock from the incident. He actually even gave me permission to go off a little earlier to get some rest at home. But I declined.

Freak accident. Lucky I wasn’t in my Myvi. It would have flipped instead of just spinning off.

No comments: